Saturday, August 29, 2015
Eureka!
Now, I know what you're thinking... I must have posted this about you, whoever is reading this. Welp... no, I actually posted it about someone who will never read this (I'm pretty sure at least).
My mother.
My mother embodies every one of those above attributes, and that sucks. It sucks because she taught her 2 daughters to follow in her footsteps, and when we did, the rest of the world judged us harshly for it. We had to learn the hard way that mom wasn't always right, and that mom was actually a manipulative, 2-faced, gossip-obsessed, holier-than-thou, prejudice, racist and controlling woman who acts upon her ever-changing mood swings.
She, unfortunately, taught my sister and I the above-referenced ways extremely well, to the point that we thought we were "normal", and everyone else was "wrong". My sister and I endured many losses of friendships, losses of close relationships, fiery family squabbles and and childish actions throughout our first 2 decades of life. We learned the hard way that acting just like mom would make us outcasts and black sheep of the family. But we stayed loyal to mom as long as we could stand to, because she always taught us that "you only get 1 mom, so be thankful for what you have!".
Well, the days of being like mom, defending mom, and staying loyal to mom are OVER. My sister and I have each gone on to live our own lives, away from that manipulative woman, so that we can each focus on living the way we feel is right, not what MOM thinks is right.
So, again, I apologize for everything I did over the years to others, my upbringing wasn't ideal or the best, and I acted out upon that fact. I have worked tirelessly to right my wrongs and take lessons from my mistakes. I'm sure we all know someone in our lives who embodies the above-referenced attributes, and the only action we can take towards those people is this:
Hope for the best, because we cannot change anyone in life.
And those who need to change will only do so when they WANT to choose to change. My mother feels she has done nothing wrong in life and has no need to change whatsoever. All I can do is hope she eventually changes that thinking...
But I doubt she is strong enough to.
-Summer C.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment